Friday, July 29, 2011

Holey Heart to Whole Heart to Hawaii!

That's right, everyone. I am no longer a "holey" person :) I went to my 3 month checkup this morning, and the hole in my heart has healed over! Which means that I can stop taking Plavix (a blood thinner that enjoys draining my energy store). What a great day.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, I had a heart procedure this past April because I had an unnatural hole in my heart. I'll try not to get too technical and anatomical and use pictures. Before the procedure, the doctors didn't know if it was a PFO (patent foramen ovale) or an ASD (atrial septal defect). The heart has 4 chambers, and in the womb, the fetus has a "hole" with a flap between the 2 atria because the mother oxygenates the blood for them so it doesn't need to go down to the lungs. So there is blood flowing in both directions as shown in the picture below by the blue and red arrows.


After a baby is born, the flap is supposed to close so the baby can start oxygenating their own blood. However, sometimes it doesn't close all of the way (PFO), and sometimes there isn't a flap to begin with (ASD). The hole can be dangerous because deoxygenated blood is flowing through the body, and it could also let blood clots through and up to the brain, causing a stroke.

I ended up having a 9mm ASD, which is almost 1/2 an inch. The procedure was very noninvasive, and I was in the hospital less than 24 hours. They go up through the femoral vein in the leg with a catheter to the heart.


Once they determined how big the whole was, they put the device in. There are different kinds, but I have one called an amplatzer septal occluder.


Here is a fun little step-by-step how they insert it into the heart.


It is supposed to heal over in 3-6 months, and mine has! Hallelujah! I hope that wasn't too boring for you.

Oh, and why did I mention Hawaii in my title? Because Josh and I are leaving for Hawaii tomorrow. I'll let you know how amazing it is when we get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment